Climbing is not a trendy add-on, but rather a relevant and beneficial activity that encourages the physical, mental, social and emotional growth of each participant. Listed below you will find ten great reasons to consider as you ponder the development of a climbing wall program at your facility.
1. Climbing is a lifelong activity that is attractive to a wide range of people and can be offered in a variety of settings:
- Park and Recreation Centers
- Fitness Centers
- Child Care Facilities
- Family Fun Centers
- Children’s Museums
- Hospitals and Rehabilitation Centers
- Occupational Therapy Facilities
2. Climbing offers versatility. Walls come in a myriad of shapes, sizes and surfaces to meet an assortment of programming wishes and requirements.
3. The activity of climbing satisfies the interests and needs of today’s contemporary society and could revitalize your programming.
4. Climbing contributes to overall physical fitness through:
- Aerobic and anaerobic activity
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- Enhanced balance, coordination and flexibility
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- Improved motor planning
- Enhanced body awareness
5. Climbing wall activities provide opportunities for social-emotional skill building:
- Increased self-knowledge, self-confidence and self-reliance
- Enhanced patience, perseverance, courage, trust, willpower and self-control
- Meeting challenges
- Positive risk taking
- Stress management
- Awareness of others
6. Climbing wall activities enhance cognitive skills:
- Problem-solving, including the identification of multiple solutions for challenges
- Decision and judgment making
- Increased focus and concentration
- Visualization and mental imaging
- Following directions and safety rules
- Goal setting
7. Climbing walls provide opportunities for cross-curricular programming in content areas such as:
- Communication (listening, speaking and writing) through team challenges and individual writing
- Mathematics (unique climbing activities require participants to solve math problems)
- All subject areas (endless possibilities through collaboration with colleagues in other
8. Climbing wall activities provide a setting for real-life experiences in meeting challenges, traveling beyond one’s “comfort zone” and developing character.
9. Climbing wall activities emphasize cooperation versus competition and encourage the development of a climate where “everybody wins” and success for all is the common by-product.
10. Climbing wall activities are fun, exciting, challenging and engaging!
Contributed by Eric Stevens, Everlast Climbing™
You can download the most recent climbing catalog right here: Everlast Climbing™ Catalog – Fall 2017
The LuckyDog Team is excited to add Everlast Climbing™ to the list of companies we represent.
Nicole Stoddard – LuckyDog Recreation Sales and Marketing – 800-388-2196
Rhetta McIff, Utah’s Creative Play Designer – 385-222-1030